- 2 roasted aubergines
- 1 tbsp. of butter
- 1 ½ red onions, finely chopped
- 1 ½ tsp. of salt
- 1 ½ tsp. cumin seeds, crushed between your palms
- 2 green chillies, seeded & finely chopped
- ½ tsp. garlic, crushed
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Plain yogurt
- Fresh coriander, finely chopped
- Firstly roast both aubergines under the grill, turning them around frequently, until they both turn black on the outside and soft in the inside all over.
- Once the aubergines are roasted, carefully peel the skin off and put the flesh into a bowl and mash with a fork (do not worry if there is a lot of liquid coming from the flesh it will all be used later on)
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and fry the onions until soft and transparent.
- Add salt, garlic and cumin seeds and fry together for 2-3 minutes.
- Then add the chopped chillies and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Finally add the roasted mashed aubergine to the mixture and whilst continuously stirring the mixture, cook the mixture for a further 3 minutes.
- Leave the mixture to completely cool and then mix into plain yoghurt and stir in the fresh coriander, leaving some for garnish.
If you find at any time that the onions are sticking to the bottom of the pan then feel free to add a dash of water at any time.
- This dip can be eaten with or without the yogurt and is a great accompaniment to any bread, crackers, celery or carrot sticks and believe it or not mixed in hot pasta its delicious!
- The mixture itself (without the yogurt) can be kept in an air tight container for up to a week.
Happy Cooking & Happy Eating Everyone!