This blog is published for the sake of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala and the thousands of Muslims raised or reverts, or even non-Muslis, who might be living in areas where they are not able to experience Ramadan in a Muslim community; so we, at MWA, invite you to be a part of our community in Ramadan.

The month of Ramadan in which was revealed the Qur'an, a guidance for mankind and clear proofs for the guidance and the criterion (between right and wrong) Al-Baqarah 2:185

Established in 2006, Muslimah Writers Alliance (MWA) is an internationally-based collaboration of Muslim women writers and advocates working together to counter negative and inaccurate perceptions regarding members of the Muslim community and the Islamic faith.

Thursday, August 4, 2011

MWA Member Ellen Keim shares her Ramadan story

Ramadan serves many purposes, but one of the main things is that it is a wonderful opportunity to practice Da’wa. I may not even have become a Muslim if it hadn’t been for Ramadan. One of my Muslim friends knew that I was interested in Islam and sensed that I was close to making a decision. But what I needed first was to see Muslims in action.

I was more than a little nervous when I went to her house. I didn’t know what to expect; I didn’t know if I was dressed properly; I didn’t know if I would be asked to participate in any way. I knew absolutely nothing about Islamic prayer and I had never seen Muslims praying except for brief glimpses on television.

I didn’t even know if I was late or early because I had no concept of waiting until after sunset to break the fast. I did know that Muslims fasted during Ramadan, but to me that just sounded hard. I had no idea how meaningful it could be. Read more


ABOUT MWA MEMBER, ELLEN KEIM
I’ve believed in God for as long as I can remember. I was baptized, raised and confirmed in the Lutheran church. When I was twenty-one I became what you might call a “born-again” Christian. I was a Methodist minister’s wife for ten years. I studied the Bible, taught adult Bible classes and became a lay preacher. And in 2009, on the last day of Ramadan, I said my Shahada and became a Muslim. I started I, Muslimah to help me, and maybe others, to grow in the faith.

2 comments:

  1. Ellen's story and enthusiasm are amazing and she has, masha'Allah, an awesome blog! Be sure to click on the 'read more' link to finish the story and find much more, insha'Allah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alhamdulilah, I love her Ramadan story, it is so moving and I did not know that Sis Ellen had such a rich Christian background, subhana'Allah. Jazak'Allahu khair for sharing your story, sister!

    ReplyDelete

Blog administrators reserve the right to approve or disapprove posts.