This blog is published for the sake of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala and the thousands of Muslims raised or reverts, or even non-Muslis, who might be living in areas where they are not able to experience Ramadan in a Muslim community; so we, at MWA, invite you to be a part of our community in Ramadan.

The month of Ramadan in which was revealed the Qur'an, a guidance for mankind and clear proofs for the guidance and the criterion (between right and wrong) Al-Baqarah 2:185

Established in 2006, Muslimah Writers Alliance (MWA) is an internationally-based collaboration of Muslim women writers and advocates working together to counter negative and inaccurate perceptions regarding members of the Muslim community and the Islamic faith.

Saturday, August 4, 2012

MWA's Saba N. Taylor asks: to Suhoor or Not?

On a regular day, I don't often take breakfast. I know, I know, breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but for some reason, I always feel iky if I have something on my stomach early in the morning. I usually don't take breakfast until around 8:30 or a little later when my stomach is actually awake! So Ramadan is especially hard on me when I have to get up before dawn to have suhoor. What makes it even harder is that now, suhoor comes in really early in the Northwest, like 4+ hours before I have to get up to go to work. After prayer, I usually have 3 hours and often go back to sleep. Not good on even on a remotely full stomach.

This Ramadan, I considered skipping suhoor so that I would not have to feel the iky effects of an early morning meal through out the day. But I was reminded of the importance of the suhoor meal by a few hadiths I read regarding fasting.

‘Amr Ibn al-Aas reported that the Messenger of Allah (SAW) said: “The distinguishing feature between our fast and the fast of the People of the Book is in the eating at the time just before dawn.” [Muslim]
‘Abdullah Ibn Haarith said that one of the Sahabah (companion) said: ‘I entered the house of the Messenger (SAW) whilst he was taking the Suhoor (pre-dawn meal), and he (SAW) said: “Indeed it (the Suhoor) is blessing that Allah has given to you so do not leave it out.” [An-Nasaaee and Ahmad]
Abu Sa’eed al-Khudree said that the Messenger (SAW) said: “Eating the Suhoor is blessed. Do not neglect it even if you take a gulp of water, because Allah and His angels invoke blessings upon those who partake in the pre-dawn meal.” [Ahmad].
It was narrated that Anas ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Eat suhoor, for in suhoor there is blessing.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 1923; Muslim, 1095.
It was narrated from Jaabir that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever wants to fast, let him eat something for suhoor.” Narrated by Ahmad, 14533; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in al-Silsilah al-Saheehah, 2309.
So I decided not to skip the suhoor as I want the blessing of Allah (swt) but at the same time, I do not want to go through out the day with stomach aches and that overall iky feeling, taking away from my whole spiritual experience of fasting. For the past fifteen days, I have been trying out a variety of meals for my suhoor trying to find the right meal that will not leave me feeling sick but still allow me to follow the sunnah of the prophet (saw).

This is what my suhoors do NOT include:

bread
crackers
other flour products
rice
potatoes
certain cereals

My suhoors MAY include (in small amounts)

dates
egg
cheese
yogurt
peanut butter
fruits
salad
orange juice
water (lots)
protein shake

Insha Allah, I will be keeping my suhoors moderate and simple as I want to spend my Ramadan purifying myself Insha Allah spiritually and physically. May Allah (swt) bestow His blessings and mercy on everyone and accept our fast. Ameen.

Ramadan Kareem!!!!

Saba N. Taylor loves to travel, read, write and blog (and not particularly in that order.) She writes children's stories and book reviews of children's books. Check out her blog, The Family-Ship Experience, for picture and chapter books that engage, entertain and educate. You can also find more book reviews, author interviews, giveaways and updates of her own writing experience and works on her writing blog, Of Thoughts and Words. Saba's published works include three teacher study guides published by Muslim Writers Publishing, a fourth in the works. Saba's work has been published in three anthologies and an assortment of online magazines. She has been a member of Muslimah Writers Alliance (MWA) since April 2010. On the web: Facebook, Twitter @worddiaries, The Family-Ship Experience (blog), Of Thoughts and Words (blog).

1 comment:

  1. Masha'Allah habibty. Jazakallahu khairan for this wonderful post. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Blog administrators reserve the right to approve or disapprove posts.