This blog is published for the sake of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala and the thousands of Muslims raised or reverts, or even non-Muslis, who might be living in areas where they are not able to experience Ramadan in a Muslim community; so we, at MWA, invite you to be a part of our community in Ramadan.

The month of Ramadan in which was revealed the Qur'an, a guidance for mankind and clear proofs for the guidance and the criterion (between right and wrong) Al-Baqarah 2:185

Established in 2006, Muslimah Writers Alliance (MWA) is an internationally-based collaboration of Muslim women writers and advocates working together to counter negative and inaccurate perceptions regarding members of the Muslim community and the Islamic faith.

Friday, July 19, 2013

MWA's Zawjah min Tauseef shares her Ramadan iftar – just for two

Husband and I had a rare opportunity last evening of breaking our fast at home. We normally have our suhoor at home, iftar with my in-laws and dinner with his.  :)

While this might seem like a blessed arrangement, I find it too cumbersome. Besides, I’ve done so many iftars with family, extended family – mashaAllah – that now I’d like a few with just hubby and me. But alhamdolillah for family.

So getting back to yesterday’s iftar, it was a last minute plan and with a little over an hour and limited ingredients, I felt like a master chef contestant beating the clock to whip up something special. Gladly there was no Marco around or some serious violence would have invalidated my fast.

I decided on potato rolls and pizza.

I started with boiling potatoes and chicken separately.

For the rolls, I mixed finely chopped carrots, capsicum, shredded chicken, coriander and onion, black pepper, salt and red chilly flakes with the mashed potatoes.

Shaped them into little rolls.

And got bread crumbs and the egg dip ready.

Pizza toppings included capsicum, chicken, olives, tomatoes, onion, herbs, chilly flakes and of course cheese.

I dipped the rolls in egg, tossed them in the bread crumbs and dropped ‘em in the hot oil. Let me tell you, they were YUMM!

Pizza took 15 minutes and the house was smelling like Italian heaven.

I remember as a child I always wanted the table full at iftar. It was all about quantity for me and I’d be on my mom’s toes to make that one more dish.

I now understand how difficult it is to run the kitchen single-handedly specially during Ramadan.

For yesterday’s iftar, it was definitely quality over quantity.

Pizza and potato rolls. Hmm. Hmm. Good!

Ma salama.

Originally published at Pliss to Adjust

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog administrators reserve the right to approve or disapprove posts.